Marsh Court - 2013 to 2015
By 1730 Marsh Court was owned by a Mr Holms, and then shortly afterwards by John Pollen. Pollen's son and heir, also John, was created a baronet in 1795 and died in 1814. The estate passed to his son, Sir John Walter Pollen, who sold it in 1815 to James Edwards. Edwards left the estate by will to Henry Edwards, whose trustees sold it around 1882 to Dr Wickham. Wickham sold it in 1892 to Herbert Johnson.
In 1901 Johnson employed Sir Edwin Lutyens (1869-1944) to rebuild the house and Gertrude Jekyll (1843-1932) to landscape the grounds. The work was completed in 1904, with an extension by Lutyens in 1924-6. Johnson lived at Marsh Court until the beginning of the Second World War, when it was used as an evacuation home for children, and then later as a convalescent home and hospital. In 1948 Marsh Court Preparatory School was established at Marsh Court. The school sold the property in the late 20th century and it is now (since 2000) in private ownership.
Further information from: Architectural Digest or The Country Seat
Garden Structure Plan - PDF File
Paths and Staircases
This herring-bone footpath required a complete rebuild using only reclaimed bricks. The path around the croquet lawn was also restored. Several staircases required complete restoration.
A retaining wall and staircase needed major renovation. Curved and sloping walls next to the power house required a complete rebuild.
Pools & Ponds
The period sunken pool was included in the overall renovation project. An area of lily ponds all required a complete overhall.
The Royal Mint Coin
A coin was specially commissioned from The Royal Mint with a copy given to each of the contractors on the Marsh Court renovation project.